Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Son, the Mountain Goat

I don't think I'll ever get boys.  Maybe it's more that I don't get daredevils.  Because I've come to the conclusion that is the word that defines Sully.  (Sometimes I don't get Reece, but that's a completely different post.)  Reece has never been too adventurous.  I'm pretty sure that if he still slept in a crib, he'd be in there every morning.  But Sully...he's another story.  The boy is a climber.  Anything he can step on, get himself a little higher off the floor, he'll climb it.

For example, the phone in the playroom.  We need a phone in the basement, and the only jack is in the playroom.  But, we have a ledge that runs under the window, at least four feet off the ground, which so far has been the perfect place to keep the phone out of little hands.  Perfect, that is, until Sully.  The little guy has begun crawling up onto the couch, stepping over a foot-wide gap, onto a file cabinet, standing up on that, and then stealing the phone.  So, no phone in the basement until we find a better solution...

Speaking of phones, that might be the source of the problem.  Anything electronic causes him to lose his mind!  If there is a phone, a remote, a camera, he will climb to get it.  So, I might luck out.  He could become one of my favorite types of guys...the electronics geek, aka computer nerd.  I promise I am not using that as a pejorative!  That is a title worn by some of my best friends, and I respect them and often call on their wise advice...Though I don't recommend going to dinner with three of them without someone else to talk to.  They can be hard to sidetrack onto a subject I understand!

However, it's not always the electronics that motivate him.  Sometimes it's just pure devilment.  He won't back down if he wants something.  Even if it means climbing walls...or at least a baby gate.  This time he was after the sippy cup drawer.  Thank goodness he can now talk, and ask for a drink, instead of unpacking my cupboards every time he wants water!




I can picture myself in the future, freaking out at the bottom of a climbing wall...or a mountain...or a high dive.  Actually, I can handle a high dive, provided there's water in the pool.  Oh...diving just made me think of sky diving.  I cannot watch my son get into a plane he will jump out of.  I am not too much of a worrywart, at least I don't think I am, but perhaps I was not prepared to be the mother of this child.  If he's already scaring me at 18 months old, what does the future hold?

If today's adventure is any clue, I am in BIG TROUBLE!


note the look on Reece's face!


No comments: